Friday, May 25, 2012

Broken Over Sin

I think many of us tend to think of the wrath of God when we think of our sin, but do we think about how sin deeply saddens Him when His child chooses to go against His will and gratifies their flesh by embracing sin instead of the Savior. We are quick to quote Romans 8:1 which states that: "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Now don't get me wrong, that's incredible--that through Jesus we are completely free from the condemnation of sin. But then we forget that sin still hurts God as He watches His children indulge in sinful acts here on earth.

What we need is the same broken heart over sin that our God has in our own heart.

I tend to compare my sins with other people that are much worse than me, thereby justifying my sinful deeds...right? What is that?! I somehow think that because I haven't killed someone, that makes me more holy in God's eyes. Ha. That's worthy of laugh. The fact I told a lie should so break my heart that I would never want to tell a lie again because God was so grieved by that lie I told. We've toned down certain sins, usually the common ones that everyone struggles with, to make ourselves feel better about ourselves.

How sinful! God, forgive us!

"Father, give us a glimpse of how you view sin. Give us a better understanding of the cross of your Son. That demonstrates the grief You have towards sin. You couldn't look at Your own Son because He was stained with the sins of the world. We need Your help to have this mindset toward sin. Break us down to build us back up stronger. Give us the hatred for sin that You have."

Let's be broken over sin just as the Father is broken over sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment